One of our interns (they are plentiful in LA) has been doing some preproduction research on lollipops as a possible addition to our selection of Pokers for our next update, and here are some interesting tidbits she found:
- lollipop maybe derived from a English dialect of the word lolly (tongue) and pop (slap).
- The word lolli might also have its roots in the Romany (Gypsy) word loli phaba, which means “red apples.” Incidently, a lollipop may have been at one point something like a candy apple instead of the hard candy treat we know today.
- There are lollipops that are used to deliver medicine like painkillers.
- Some are marketed as diet aids.
- There’s a Taiwanese Mandopop boyband called Lollipop.
- There’s also a German girl band called Die Lollipops along with an Italian girl band called Lollipop.
- Lil Wayne had a hit song called Lollipop last year.
- There’s a hors doeuvre made from a chicken wing or drumstick called “chicken lollipop.” We’re pretty sure Lumpy will think it’s “delish” if he tries one.